Which method do you use to tip - On pre-tax or after-tax total?

Poll ends: 4 years Poll: Which method do you us to calculate the tip?

Select 1 answer:

0 I tip on the after-tax total
100%
0 I tip on the pre-tax total
0%
Bryan_15602842879494
4 years (Edited 4 years) 0 Bryan_15602842879494 1

Hey all,

I've been doing some dining shops for 360 and my practice is usually to tip on the total after tax. I'm curious if anyone tips on the pre-tax total at 20% to meet the requirements. Is this acceptable for 360? Looking forward to the responses. TIA!

DontCallMeGemma
4 years +1 DontCallMeGemma 6
Bryan_15602842879494 @ Jun 19, 2019 3:42:32 PM
Hey all,

I've been doing some dining shops for 360 and my practice is usually to tip on the total after tax. I'm curious if anyone tips on the pre-tax total at 20% to meet the requirements. Is this acceptable for 360? Looking forward to the responses. TIA!

I tip on the total of the entire bill, including the tax. I know this may sound stupid, to be tipping on a tax. But I look at it this way......I was a food and beverage server for over 25 years on Maui. A 20% tip on a check is nice, and appropriate. But to throw in a few extra cents or dolllars by factoring in the tax, can make a difference to a server who is just trying to put food on the table. Just like I was. A F&B servers generally don't even get a paycheck because they are paid a lower wage, lower than minimum wage. This is because most state and the federal governments are under the assumption that the customers will make up the difference in pay with a gratuity. BUT the servers meger wage is eaten up by taxes, state and federal income taxes, medicare, SSI, TDI, unemployment. Your taxes are based on your earnings. Your earnings will be your hourly wage and your allocated income. This is a percentage of your food and bev. sales during the pay period that the government ASSUMES you are receiving in gratuities from your guests. Which is not always the case. I had my fair share of being "stiffed" during my decades working the diningrooms. Some people would tell me that they don't tip because they're Canadian (true story) or because they can't afford to tip. My children were raised with the understanding that "If you can't afford to tip, don't eat out. Go to the grocery store and buy food". Short story long.......go ahead.....pay it forward, throw in the few extra sheckels. I honestly don't see 360 is going to deny your shop because you did. They just aren't going to reimburse you for it. Consider it your contribution to making someone elses day a little brighter.
OK. I'm off my soap box........Aloha

Michael_15527186436033
4 years 0 Michael_15527186436033 27

Hi,

I usually tip on the entire bill when I eat. As far as mystery shopping, it would be dependent on the shop and what the requirements are. Companies will state the reimbursement of the shop when advertising the shop and what you need to order whether generally or specifically.

Michele_15032031952719
4 years 0 Michele_15032031952719 363

In some countries tipping is indeed frowned upon.I think that is the case in a lot of Asian countries.

LINDA_14996614317791
4 years 0 LINDA_14996614317791 182

When doing a shop, I tip on the entire bill after tax, just to be certain I am giving enough. This has always been accepted. When I am dining outside of mystery shopping I do not tip on tax. I tip on the food and service only.

Reading this thread: