Odd/strange/awkward/silly Requirements

Jason_CO
4 years +1 Jason_CO 17

So I know I've been asked- nay, REQUIRED- to do some pretty silly stuff in order to meet the expectations of a shop.

I would have to say that my most awkward experience personally was needing to take pictures to fulfill shop requirements inside a location where there were signs everywhere explicitly stating that camera usage (yes, even cell phones!) was strictly prohibited. Seems the company wanted me to clandestinely break their own rules in order to confirm that I was really doing what they had hired me to do!

What odd/strange/awkward/silly requests or requirements have you run into out there during your mystery shopping adventures?

Michele_15032031952719
4 years (Edited 4 years) +1 Michele_15032031952719 363

That one does seem odd.They could reduce the picture requirement so they aren't likely to see you taking pictures.I have had ones that just say don't take pictures of employees.How does one keep people from using a cell phone anyway?

Michael_15527186436033
4 years +1 Michael_15527186436033 27

That does seem like an odd request. I know that I was denied doing a job, through another place, at Whole Foods for taking pictures which didn't make any sense since people do it regularly there without as problem. All you can do is to take pictures as discretely as possible.

KelliR
4 years +2 KelliR 29

I always think it's odd too when companies require multiple photos in areas people don't normally take random photos. I feel like you're just screaming "I'm A Shopper!"

Tara_NJ
4 years +3 Tara_NJ 178

Especially when they ask you to take photos inside medical establishments or banks. I won't. It's literally against the law/breaks privacy laws to take any photos or record anything inside doctors offices or hospitals.

Ivan
4 years +1 Ivan 944

I'm really not a legal expert, but here's my understanding of how/why it's ok to take photos or recordings in such situations: If you were just a regular, random customer - the law would apply, and you wouldn't be able to take photos/recordings in those areas (and/or public spaces, recordings of people without their consent, etc). However, in this case, you are performing a task as a contractor, on behalf of an MSP, which was hired by that client to evaluate their facilities/employees. In that capacity, your photos/recordings wouldn't be much different from a security camera footage. The client would have had to give permission to the MSP to take photos/recordings, and this permission then extends to you during a shop. The trick is - not getting caught, since you can't really reveal your identity as a shopper in order to explain why you were taking photos.

Again, this is all just my understanding of things, and there is a chance I could be wrong - so your safest bet would be to check with the MSP.

Martin_Canada
4 years +2 Martin_Canada 118

I hate shops where you have to take a photo of the washroom. Easy to do at a single washroom with a locked door like at a gas station. Much harder to do at a huge washroom at a movie theater! I had to get my partner to help me and tell me when the washroom was empty to get that photo. :-)

Tara_NJ
4 years (Edited 4 years) +2 Tara_NJ 178

That is difficult to do! I have to do the same thing this coming week. I'm kinda nervous!

Hey Ivan, I know that if you're caught taking photos in a hospital you could get arrested, at least in NJ. My uncle is a doctor and my cousin (his daughter) works in the administrative department of a hospital and they say it breaks HIPAA laws to take any photos inside a hospital or in hospital rooms. Outside is OK, but not inside. I didn't know it was that serious here. I did once do a hospital shop on iSS and it specifically said to not take interior photos, only exterior, and make sure no people are in the photo.

Ivan
4 years +1 Ivan 944

Huh, I did not know that! Thanks for sharing!

Remarker
4 years +2 Remarker 6

Hi

It is not always the client's own establishments that are being assessed so pictures could be tricky.

I have had test drive shops for competitor with exterior pictures only as part of the shop but recently was surprised in fast food. I had done a few shops that I assumed were coming from the company's head office. Interior pictures were a requirement. Then the blurb was updated and read " A fast food chain wants to assess how it is doing compared to its competition."

Don't know how common that is.

Reading this thread: