Has anyone gotten "caught" as a mystery shopper/price scanner?

Julie_16572474347239
1 year +1 Julie_16572474347239 7

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has gotten "caught" by an employee or manager as a mystery shopper, especially doing the Costco scans since you have to be there for so many hours? If so, how did you handle it? Can they kick you out?

Thank you!

Annemarie_15331837891194
1 year +1 Annemarie_15331837891194 3

I've never been caught. Or, at least no one confronted or asked me if I was doing a shop. I've never done Costco and have no plans to do that type of shop.

Michele_15032031952719
1 year +1 Michele_15032031952719 363

I wonder why they do this at all. They could have shops with a smaller number of items to scan.

Evelyn_16582844755851
1 year +5 Evelyn_16582844755851 1

I've been asked one time by a manager because a customer wanted to know what I was doing. I told him I was checking prices against the Sam's Club app now when he sees me he just smiles. I've done Costco over 20 times and usually it's the customers wondering and asking questions, the employees are too busy working, they pay me not the slightest bit of attention unless I ask a question.

Julie_16572474347239
1 year +1 Julie_16572474347239 7

I have done Costco several times now. A manager approached me last time saying a couple people noticed me taking photos. He asked if everything was OK. I played it off ok I guess because nobody bothered me the rest of the time. It shook me up though. I try to be as incognito as possible. Do you use a cart while you do it, Evelyn? Or, do you just walk the store scanning? Looking for any tips so that doesn't happen again. When customers ask me what I'm doing, I simply tell them I'm price comparing because I really do. Once I'm done with my scan, I grab a cart and get the items I want!

Linda_16571252227629
1 year 0 Linda_16571252227629 2

I do two Costco locations per week. One location I've been doing for about a year and a half now, the other I've done several times. In both locations, I have been approached by management and just told them I was scanning to ensure accuracy on the apps they use for personal shopping (Instacart or similar). Both locations have allowed me to carry on with no problem since those contacts. On the other hand, I had to give up three locations (one at a time, as twice a week is plenty for Costco scans!) because they claimed their "regional management" said it wasn't allowed. All five of these locations are in the Greater Detroit area, so it's likely they all have the same management team. Still, I've been welcome at the two I have now for an extended amount of time and just walk in like any other worker. I'm even getting friendly with various staff at one of them to the point of joking around, texting about a new baby, etc. I'm really happy with the two locations I have, although one is pretty far and had been "undesirable" due to distance, but I was running out of local stores and missed that income. I just think to myself that the bonus covers gas and travel time pretty well. Plus, since it's Spring, I don't have to worry about bad weather driving. I've only had one manager that was actually mean to me, thinking I was a spy before throwing me out. Fine. Whatever. Someone else will scoop up that location and hopefully be able to maintain it. The other two that asked me to leave were exceedingly nice and it was a pleasant exchange when caught. I dress comfortably, take nothing more than a fanny pack with the days essentials (including back up battery, cord, VISA card, meds, wet wipes, band aids, whatever). I also bring a bottle of water to carry around so I'm not constantly putting 73 cent drinks on my card. I like to get one thing (lunch or drink) from there just in case GPS isn't working so I have a receipt as back up that I was actually there at the time and date assigned. When I started, I was dragging a cart along and it was wildly cumbersome. I don't do that anymore, and since they've come to expect me now, I don't need to.

Julie_16572474347239
1 year 0 Julie_16572474347239 7

Thank you, Linda. I was thinking of using s cart next time to make me less noticeable, but I was worried it would slow me down. Sounds like that was your experience. We just got Costco "near" us (30 min drive) about a year ago or so. There are no others even remotely close, so I hope it continues to go smoothly. I got it done in my fastest time last time.

Ramesh
11 months 0 Ramesh 1

I was doing a price check shop at a supermarket (Food basics, in Canada). There is a big list of items you have to enter the price for. Also need to enter if there is a sale on it.. Really hard shop, the app groups products by category. Unfortunately, the shop doesn't stock and group products in the same way. I usually end up going to the shop twice on the same day to complete about 100+ items. An employee asked me why I was roaming around for so long (didn't have a basket/cart so they were right to be suspicious). I said I was looking for some-name (product not found in their store) and had to abandon the shop.

Julie_16572474347239
11 months +2 Julie_16572474347239 7

I used a cart last time I did the Costco scan. I did my shopping as I went. It definitely took longer, but I wasn't questioned even once about what I was doing. I also wore earbuds to try to discourage people from talking to me. I wasn't listening to anything though. I think the combo of the two worked well!

Victoria_16846950389524
11 months 0 Victoria_16846950389524 1

I got told off for taking photos at Natural Grocer's. Was doing an audit for Survey, I asked if I wasn't even allowed to take photos for Instacart, and they said no. Luckily I was basically done at that point. There were lots of employees just standing around, not sure why they were jumpy about pictures.

Reading this thread: