Has anyone gotten "caught" as a mystery shopper/price scanner?

Joshua_16826271624817
11 months 0 Joshua_16826271624817 3
Linda_16571252227629 @ Apr 17, 2023, 4:28:21 PM
I do two Costco locations per week. One location I've been doing for about a year and a half now, the other I've done several times. In both locations, I have been approached by management and just told them I was scanning to ensure accuracy on the apps they use for personal shopping (Instacart or similar). Both locations have allowed me to carry on with no problem since those contacts. On the other hand, I had to give up three locations (one at a time, as twice a week is plenty for Costco scans!) because they claimed their "regional management" said it wasn't allowed. All five of these locations are in the Greater Detroit area, so it's likely they all have the same management team. Still, I've been welcome at the two I have now for an extended amount of time and just walk in like any other worker. I'm even getting friendly with various staff at one of them to the point of joking around, texting about a new baby, etc. I'm really happy with the two locations I have, although one is pretty far and had been "undesirable" due to distance, but I was running out of local stores and missed that income. I just think to myself that the bonus covers gas and travel time pretty well. Plus, since it's Spring, I don't have to worry about bad weather driving. I've only had one manager that was actually mean to me, thinking I was a spy before throwing me out. Fine. Whatever. Someone else will scoop up that location and hopefully be able to maintain it. The other two that asked me to leave were exceedingly nice and it was a pleasant exchange when caught. I dress comfortably, take nothing more than a fanny pack with the days essentials (including back up battery, cord, VISA card, meds, wet wipes, band aids, whatever). I also bring a bottle of water to carry around so I'm not constantly putting 73 cent drinks on my card. I like to get one thing (lunch or drink) from there just in case GPS isn't working so I have a receipt as back up that I was actually there at the time and date assigned. When I started, I was dragging a cart along and it was wildly cumbersome. I don't do that anymore, and since they've come to expect me now, I don't need to.

How long does it take you on average to complete this shop?

Reading this thread: